Call 561-328-0718
to schedule a consultation
Family legal issues? Contact Jonathan today!
Aggressive. Affordable. Results.

How to enforce the payment of child support

On Behalf of | May 17, 2019 | Child Support

Child support is an important part of many child custody agreements in West Palm Beach. Having to raise your children on just one income, or only via child support payments, can be very difficult. You might not be able to pay for food one week or put clothes on their backs the other. Either way, if you have been awarded child support, you need to understand how you can enforce the payments being made.

If the person paying you child support has failed to make payments recently, they are said to be in arrears. If this happens, the court could come down hard on the person responsible for making the payments. Just know that the person in arrears could wind up requesting a reduction in the amount they are required to pay if they have come into a hardship.

The court can also rule that the person paying child support have their wages garnished at work. Only a percentage of the wages can be garnished, and they are taken right out of the paycheck. The money is then sent to the person who is supposed to be receiving child support.

There’s also the option of filing a claim against the person who is to pay child support. This should always be your last step. Try to work through the court that issued the child support ruling originally before moving in a legal direction against the payee. At the same time, it’s always best to have an attorney advise you throughout the process.

Enforcing child support payments does not have to be difficult if you know what to do and where to turn. Your first step is to document every single missing payment and have a solid copy of the court order for support. You then need to speak with a trusted attorney about your situation.