Call 561-328-0718
to schedule a consultation
Family legal issues? Contact Jonathan today!
Aggressive. Affordable. Results.

What Florida officials can do if child support isn’t paid

On Behalf of | Feb 10, 2017 | Child Support

Child support isn’t always paid on time, and sometimes it’s not paid at all. If you’re supposed to be receiving it, this can be infuriating. The other parent is legally obligated to pay and you need that money; after all, the cost of raising a child doesn’t go down just because you’re not being properly supported.

The good news is that you do have legal options and there are steps that can be taken to help force payments to be made. Some of them include:

— Sending out notices about late payments. It could be a situation where payment was simply forgotten.

— Garnishing wages. This way, you’re paid directly before the other parent even gets his or her paycheck.

— Suspending a driver’s license. The inconvenience of no longer being able to drive may help get the other parent to catch up on the payments.

— Taking tax refunds or lottery winnings. If the other parent has a significant outstanding debt, this money can be seized and sent to you to pay it off. It may not pay all that is owed, but it can help.

— Reporting the failure to pay to credit agencies. This can make it far harder for the other parent to get personal or business loans moving forward. It could make it nearly impossible to buy a new home or a new car, for instance.

These are just a few examples, and not a comprehensive list of all of the actions that can be taken. However, they help to show you that the law is on your side and you don’t just have to accept that you won’t be paid. If you want to learn more about how to get this process started, our website has a lot of helpful information.