${site.data.firmName}${SEMFirmNameAlt} Menu Contact Review Us In This Section

child custody Archives

When should you consider a 'split custody' arrangement?

One custody option that some parents with multiple children choose after divorce is called "split custody" or "divided custody." It's when each parent takes primary physical custody of one or more of their children, so the siblings aren't living together.

When should you consider modifying your parenting plan?

If your children were young when you and your spouse divorced, you likely assumed that the parenting plan you put in place would need to be modified at some point as your kids grew up. Children's needs change, as do their parents' circumstances.

What if your co-parent or child resists the visitation schedule?

Recently, we discussed the issue of people who withhold visitation from their co-parents because they aren't meeting their child support obligations. As we noted, support and visitation are two different matters. They're decided separately by courts, with children's best interests in mind. That means one parent can't keep the other parent from court-ordered access to a child because they're behind on child support.

Divorcing parents of toddlers have unique challenges

Parenting toddlers can be exhausting and frustrating, but also extremely rewarding. They seem to be learning new things every day. They're beginning to comprehend more about the world around them and to explore it within the boundaries set by their parents and other caretakers.

The importance of a shared journal for co-parents

Many people — particularly men — cringe at the thought of journaling. They think it sounds like something Oprah would tell them to do if they really want to live their best life. However, keeping a journal can help people express and process the myriad thoughts and emotions that can be overwhelming during and after divorce.

What you need to know if a custody evaluation has been ordered

You and your soon-to-be-ex have struggled to work out a custody agreement for your kids that will give you both the time with them and involvement in their lives that you want. However, you can't find common ground. There's too much animosity between you. You have no choice but to let a judge decide the matter.

The advantages of finding a 'halfway point' for custody exchanges

One of the important aspects of co-parenting that divorced parents have to work out is how they will "exchange" their kids when they go from one parent's home to another. If the parents still live near each other, they will often drop off and pick up from their homes or perhaps from school.

Why Father's Day may need to be part of your parenting plan

Mother's Day and Father's Day can be a challenge for newly-divorced parents. Many couples don't bother to include them in their parenting plans along with Christmas, Thanksgiving and other major holidays. However, if there aren't stipulations in place for these days, parents can wind up battling over whether their children can spend the day with the parent who's being "celebrated" — particularly if the holiday falls during the other parent's designated time.

Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

2001 Palm Beach Lakes Boulevard, Suite 500
West Palm Beach, FL 33409

Toll Free: 888-895-9027
Phone: 561-328-0718
Phone: TBD
Fax: 561-253-6353
Map & Directions

Toll Free: 888-895-9027
Phone: 561-328-0718
Fax: 561-253-6353