${site.data.firmName}${SEMFirmNameAlt} Menu Contact Review Us In This Section

Who needs to file qualified domestic relations orders?

If you have never been divorced, chances are good that you have never heard of a qualified domestic relations order (QDRO). Even among divorced Florida residents, not all will need to file QDROs. But those who do need them will be unable to access any of a former spouse's retirement pension benefits without one.What are QDROs?

These court-approved orders assign some or all of a participating employee's pension benefits to another person. The alternate payees may only be spouses, former spouses, the plan participant's children or other dependents.

Why are QDROs issued?

People seek QDROs for three specific purposes — as child support, alimony or as part of the division of marital assets during divorce.

Failing to have an attorney draft and file a QDRO during the property settlement segment of your divorce can result in a delay or denial of the benefits to which you are otherwise entitled.

What qualifies as a QDRO?

In order to qualify as a QDRO, the orders must satisfy the requirements of both the amended Internal Revenue Code (IRC) and the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA). To do so, orders must include the following:

  • The plan's name
  • Names of both the plan participant and the alternate payee(s)
  • Last available addresses for participant and alternate payee
  • Amount of benefits to be paid and how this amount is determined
  • Period when the order is applicable and/or number of payments to be disbursed

It should be noted that many plans have additional requirements that are specific to that plan that also must be included for the order to be qualified. Your attorney can get those specification from the plan's administrator. They are listed in the rules and procedures for QDROs.

How will I know if I need a QDRO?

If your marriage was brief, or if you were married to somebody who didn't have pension benefits from any source during your marriage, you don't need a QDRO. Others should work closely with their Florida family law attorneys to make sure one is filed with the court during the divorce proceedings.

Source: Fidelity, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed Oct. 20, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

2001 Palm Beach Lakes Boulevard, Suite 500
West Palm Beach, FL 33409

Toll Free: 888-895-9027
Phone: 561-328-0718
Phone: TBD
Fax: 561-253-6353
Map & Directions

Toll Free: 888-895-9027
Phone: 561-328-0718
Fax: 561-253-6353